What is magazine advertising?
Traditionally, magazine advertising consists of either display or classified advertising in a periodical publication. More broadly, it encompasses joint promotional initiatives with the publication (such as an exclusive giveaway), inclusion in editorial, and sampling or digital integration.
Magazines tend to focus on a particular subject matter or cater to the interests of a particular market or demographic, and may be business-to-business or business-to-consumer.
Often produced in high volume, magazine ad production requirements vary widely. Magazine ads are produced in a variety of sizes, and on a wide variety of paper stocks. They may also be produced as a tip-on, insert, flap or wrap requiring special media buys and specialist production knowledge.
High quality reproduction gives opportunity for beautiful imagery to showcase your brand.
Material deadlines for magazine advertising tend to depend upon the frequency of the publication. The rule of thumb is that monthlies require material about a month out, and weeklies only a week out from their on sale date.
If you want your brand to look amazing in magazines get in touch.
This example cost and time plan is for a full-page colour magazine ad resized and adapted for the local market from supplied master art and hi res imagery, dispatched to eight magazine titles nationally.
Example production cost
|Master Download & Design||from $275|
|Artwork||from $120 each|
|Project Management||from $270|
Example production time plan
|Material Delivery||1-4 weeks prior|
Magazine advertising examples
View the Fifty Shades of Grey campaign
Greens General Foods
View the ‘We love...’ campaign
View the Hiramasa Kingfish campaign
View the Jurassic World campaign
View the Range Rover portfolio
View the Maserati portfolio
View the Revlon portfolio
View the Seiko portfolio
Proctor & Gamble
View the Wella Pro Series campaign
Downloads & links
Related production guides
- FIPP (worldwide magazine media association)
- Magazine Publishers of Australia
- Publishers Australia
- ADMA Australia
- Advertising Standards Authority New Zealand
- Advertising Standards Bureau Australia
- Association of New Zealand advertisers
- Audited Media Association of Australia (AMAA)
- Australian Association of National Advertisers
- Australian Classification
- Australian Communications and Media Authority (ACMA)
- Australian Competition and Consumer Commission
- Australian Copyright Council
- Australian Marketing Institute (AMI)
- Australian Therapeutic Goods Administration
- Brewers Association of Australia & New Zealand
- Copyright Council of New Zealand
- Media Federation of Australia (MFA)
- The Big Idea, New Zealand
- The Communications Council
- The Designers Institute
- Therapeutic Goods Advertising Code Council
- WeCreate, New Zealand