What is online and mobile advertising?
Online advertising comes in a myriad of forms, including banners, sponsorships, keyword searches, referrals, slotting fees, classified ads and interactive television commercials. Mobile advertising is online advertising delivered wirelessly to phones via apps, browsers and SMS.
The standard ad units (dealt with in this guide) represent the most commonly bought display ad units, while rich media ads utilise additional video, animation or interactive elements beyond those achievable in a standard display ad.
Design skills and production techniques are the strongest tools to meet the challenges of online and mobile advertising.
There are a few challenges to producing online advertising. The delivery of data over the internet and mobile networks restricts file size and can therefore affect visual quality. This needs to be managed in the creative approach, and also the production techniques employed to produce the creative.
The vast difference in file formats and sizes, whilst opening up creative opportunities, can require clever design solutions to realise the creative at its best in each format. This can also apply if the online advertising is a component of a wider integrated campaign.
The absolute size of online advertising formats can also prove a challenge. Mobile advertising is tiny compared to most other marketing formats. Again, the creative approach and design will maximise the outcome.
The varied technical requirements of an online advertising campaign can be overwhelming. Get in touch to find out how OFA can help deliver your campaign efficiently and on brand.
This example cost and time plan is based on producing Flash MREC and leaderboard size banners adapted for the local market from supplied master assets and dispatching to five digital networks.
Example production cost
|Master Download & Design||from $445|
|Production & Staging||from $500|
|File Generation & Delivery||from $200|
|Project Management||from $405|
Example production time plan
|Material Delivery||1-5 days prior|
Online & mobile advertising examples
Seven Sundays Muesli
Amalgamated Holdings Limited
View the Lizard Island portfolio
Greens General Foods
View the ‘We love...’ campaign
Lowan Whole Foods
View the ‘Sand Art’ campaign
Downloads & links
Related production guides
- Magazine Advertising
- Press Advertising
- Website Production
- Email Marketing
- Video Content and TVC
- Motion Graphics and Animation
- Australian Interactive Media Industry Association (AIMIA)
- Interactive Advertising Bureau (IAB)
- ADMA Australia
- Advertising Standards Authority New Zealand
- Advertising Standards Bureau Australia
- Association of New Zealand advertisers
- Audited Media Association of Australia (AMAA)
- Australian Association of National Advertisers
- Australian Classification
- Australian Communications and Media Authority (ACMA)
- Australian Competition and Consumer Commission
- Australian Copyright Council
- Australian Marketing Institute (AMI)
- Australian Therapeutic Goods Administration
- Brewers Association of Australia & New Zealand
- Copyright Council of New Zealand
- Media Federation of Australia (MFA)
- The Big Idea, New Zealand
- The Communications Council
- The Designers Institute
- Therapeutic Goods Advertising Code Council
- WeCreate, New Zealand